There are two main differences between porcelain and ceramic: Porcelain has a very-low absorption rating and a different construction that makes it behave very differently from other ceramics. Please continue reading to find a brief description of the differences, but, as always, feel free to come into our tile shop if you have further questions.
Porcelain: ideal for busy rooms and outdoor spaces
It is composed of nonporous clay together with sand and glass and fired at higher temperatures. This makes it ultra-strong, heavier, denser, and waterproof whether or not it's glazed. As a result, it's a great floor tile for kitchens, baths, and anywhere there's heavy foot traffic, including the deck, patio, and poolside floors, where it can withstand even the most severe weather conditions.
They come in countless colors and can be made to look like anything, including fabric, leather, stone, and wood. They can also be used on walls and tub, and shower surrounds.
All about ceramics
Ceramics are fired at lower temperatures and glazed with bright, colorful, glass-like glazes that allow you to create unique patterns and styles; sometimes, like a mosaic, they’re even glass-coated. You’ll be pleasantly overwhelmed when you walk into the tile store and see an almost unlimited number of colors, patterns, shapes, and sizes. They include:
1. Ceramic squares: These are thinner, often glazed, and are appropriate for indoor moderately trafficked rooms, as well as walls, counters, backsplashes, and tub and shower surrounds.
2. Mosaics: Tiny and durable, now trending for bathroom floors.
3. Terracotta tiles: Can be used outside or indoors.
4. Subway tiles: Formerly white rectangles now come in all colors, shapes, and sizes.
5. Listellos: Bands of border tiles used as accents.
At DeSoto Floor Covering & Interiors, we love tile flooring, and you will too. It's sophisticated, stylish, durable, and can last 50 years or more when taken care of properly. Our showroom is in Olive Branch, MS. Come in to explore, learn and get a free quote. We service homeowners and businesses in and around Southaven, Hernando, Oxford, MS, Memphis, Germantown, and Collierville.